Friday, January 8, 2010

How can replicate the cracks in old paintings in Adobe Illustrator or Adobe Photoshop?

I want to give my artwork the old antique look of old paintings. Therefore, I want to replicate the old cracks that appear in old paintings. How can I do this in Adobe Illustrator or Adobe Photoshop?


ThanksHow can replicate the cracks in old paintings in Adobe Illustrator or Adobe Photoshop?
Tim D is right in saying that you can use the Craquelure filter in Photoshop.





I don't like filters personally, because it doesn't leave a lot of room for customization.





Besides filters, there are several options open.





The method I would choose to use is to find a high resolution image of a texture with cracks like those that you are seeking. With the image open in photoshop, I would select all (Ctrl+A), cut (Ctrl+C), and paste it onto the image you want the cracks on. It will paste it onto a new layer. In the layer box, I would set the style of the texture layer to ';Multiply';. It's a very interesting effect and looks most natural to me. After deciding on the opacity of my layer, I would take the eraser brush, 100% softness, maybe 10% opacity, and brush away parts I didn't want. You can also edit the colours of the texture layer with the ';Hue/Saturation'; feature, in Adjustments.





Besides using a texture multiply layer, you can get more in depth, and download custom brushes with the cracks you want. There are tons of them. I get most of my resources from deviantart.





For brushes: http://www.deviantart.com/#catpath=resou鈥?/a>





For high-res textures:


http://www.deviantart.com/#catpath=resou鈥?/a>How can replicate the cracks in old paintings in Adobe Illustrator or Adobe Photoshop?
Use the Craquelure filter in the Texture Filters in Photoshop and Texture Effect in Illustrator. It is not the best as it is fairly regular, you might also look at Mister Retro filters.





http://www.misterretro.com/machine_wash_鈥?/a>

No comments:

Post a Comment