Friday, January 8, 2010

How do I become a professional Graphica Novel artist/illustrator for a career?

I want toknow what kind of schooling and experience I have to have to become a Graphic Novel artist. I would love to make graphic novel series for a living when I finish college. I'm in high school right now, my sophmore year and I want to do this for a living. What steps would I have to take to be able to work at a place like Marvel or DC comics? Please give me the whole description of the steps. Thanx!!How do I become a professional Graphica Novel artist/illustrator for a career?
I think that your asking for more details than you really need. You want to learn:


anatomy


perspective drawing


inking


comic art





But you will learn all of this under BA degree for illustration


You want to be an illustrator first. From there you may become a cartoonist, graphic novelist, or whatever.





School of Visual Arts in New York City New York offer a major in illustration and a major in cartooning but illustration includes courses in cartooning and ink design.


Check the link:


http://www.schoolofvisualarts.edu/ug/ind鈥?/a>





and vice versa majors in cartooning include classes in illustration and ink for illustrators.


check it out here:


http://www.schoolofvisualarts.edu/ug/ind鈥?/a>How do I become a professional Graphica Novel artist/illustrator for a career?
There aren't any specific steps in my opinion. As you start college, you'll also start networking with other students and teachers. Through school contacts, you'll find internships and begin to move into the job market which is what college prepares you for.





I suggest a graphic design/visual arts program. Read carefully what the description of the programs are and for what fields they're best studied for. If in doubt, ask questions of the colleges you're interested.





I also suggest contacting Marvel or DC Comics to ask what it is that they look for in a prospective illustrator. Going right to the source will be a good start in preparing yourself for your career.





Also, if you haven't done so, start putting together a portfolio of your work if you've begun to do so in Photoshop, Illustrator, etc. This will be a good thing to send with your college applications and many art programs may require (or suggest) that you have one to help gauge your promise and dedication to the program.





Good luck! And remember to enjoy the road to your dream as much as the dream itself!
Build up one hell of a portfolio--and start as soon as possible. Draw like your life depends on it. Hopefully, by the time you're a Senior, you have a great portfolio and can get into an art school on a scholarship, where you will continue to work your a s s off, study anatomy, etc. But keep in mind that there are thousands of people like you with the same ambition. And then you get your degree, develop a kick-a s s portfolio, and maybe you'll eventually get noticed.





Or you could just be talented like a bastard--I think Frank Cho http://www.libertymeadows.com/ got his degree in nursing and never went to art school or anything of the sort.

No comments:

Post a Comment